Personally, I do not find the Grainline Archer shirt to have the ideal fit. I am slowly working out the best way to alter the pattern. First of all - it needs to be an inch longer through the bodies and in the arms. Secondly I do not like the look of the back with the pleat so I have gotten rid of it entirely.
In this version (and all subsequent versions) instead of the two big rectangle pockets I opted for a single pocket with a triangular bottom. In this case the pocket has a batman comic on it.
Here is how the back looks without the back pleat - much nicer!! I do need to remember add a bit of width through the hips though as my shirts always seem to be too tight in the hips DESPITE the fact that I am sewing sizes bigger then my hip measurement would point to.
I have completely disregarded the button placement in the pattern and come up with my own - so far my placement has resulted in far less boob gape... For other ladies with this problem you know what I mean! Ultimately it means I have to use 10 buttons every time instead of 8.
I started sewing these shirts because I wanted to be able to make my girlfriend (who has a small bust and big hips) shirts that she would like and that would fit. The Archer is too loose and a bit boxy so I think my changes are helping.
I think I am figuring out the details of the pattern and really tweaking it to make it my own - by the time I am done it will be a very very different pattern. Which I like. I also want to add some more width to the front pieces + collar stand to allow wearers to have a bow tie with the shirt.